Trainee Travel Fund (TTF)
Trainee Travel Fund (TTF) application deadline:
30 June &
31 December (of prior year)
Selection decisions by the Revision Board:
1 March and 1 September
Earliest start date of the funded activity:
1 April and 1 October
The Trainee Travel Fund (TTF) aims to provide awardees with the opportunity for additional training to advance their academic or career development in the field of human milk and lactation, which otherwise could not be attained in an awardee’s current training environment. The TTF will cover short-term activities that are achievable within three months.
TTF-funded activities could include, for example:
- Learning new analytical techniques and software management methods
- Learning or assisting in developing and implementing novel clinical protocols
The scope of the TTF also encompasses other fields, such as Public Health, Health Economics and others related to the field of human milk and lactation.
The TTF covers up to USD 10,000 per awardee for visa-related costs, roundtrip transportation to/from the activity destination, accommodation, personal expenses (food, local transportation) and basic supplies connected to the proposed research activities. 5-10 awards will be granted per year.
To be eligible for a Trainee Travel Fund, the applicant must:
- Be an ISRHML member in good standing (no pending dues at application deadline date) at the time of application deadline and at the time when proposed expansion (travel) occurs,
- Be involved in a project that is relevant to research in human milk and lactation, and
- Propose to visit a group outside the current training facility to receive additional training (expansion) that is:
- relevant to research in human milk and lactation and
- is otherwise not available or sufficient at the current location
- Restriction of Activities of Awardees: The Awardee shall not conduct any research sponsored by, or otherwise collaborate with, companies that promote the use of infant formula, with or without modification, for use as a partial or total replacement of breast milk for healthy term-delivered infants during the term of the Award Agreement
Awardees are selected based on evidence that their proposed activities will provide additional training that adds value to their academic or career development in the field of human milk and lactation, which otherwise could not be obtained in their current training environments.
Applicants will be assessed within the context of their specific disciplines. Successful applications would meet the following criteria:
- The applicant’s academic record is of high quality.
- The applicant’s training and experience, to-date, are consistent with a career in human milk and lactation research.
- It is clear that the applicant is able to both excel at and benefit from the training activity.
Evidence of service to the field of human milk and lactation research is advantageous.
- Training experience
- The travel expansion plan is clearly and logically articulated. The applicant’s role in the training expansion is explicitly stated.
- The learning objectives and training expansion plan document a clear need for, and value of, the training expansion, for both the applicant and the field of human milk and lactation.
- The travel expansion plan is specific to the learning objectives.
- The travel expansion plan is feasible, given the applicant’s academic and research background and expansion timeline.
- The travel expansion timeline is logically justified in relation to the learning objectives.
- The evaluation methods for the achievement of learning objectives are appropriate to measure outcome.
- The budget is fully justified and reasonable in relation to the travel expansion plan.
- The applicant clearly and logically justifies the choice of proposed training institution and/or mentor (as applicable).
- The proposed travel expansion is relevant to the applicant’s career trajectory in the field of human milk and lactation.
- The hosting supervisor has clearly committed (a) to actively mentor the trainee and (b) providing a research environment required to successfully complete the expansion.
- The available space, facilities, equipment, and personnel support are appropriate given (a) the applicant’s academic and research background and (b) the travel expansion plan.
- The hosting supervisor has an excellent mentorship track record and provides a clear mentorship plan for the applicant.
Any Awardee under the Trainee Travel Fund needs to comply with the following obligations:
- The funding shall be used within six months as of its award;
- Any unused amount shall be reimbursed to ISRHML
- A final report shall be provided to ISRHML and FLRF within one month of the completion date of the funded activity, comprising the following information:
- Key learnings (200 words)
- Evaluation of key achievements (400 words)
- Completion of key objectives (400 words)
- Key relationships formed (200 words)
- Financial summary (200 words or excel analysis)
- Overall conclusion and outlook (300 words)
The Potential Awardee shall complete the application online at the ISRHML website; the application shall include the following information:
- Online application form
- Curriculum Vitae (including publications and prior funding, if available)
- Copy of transcript for current studies or most recently completed degree
- Proof of enrollment letter from current academic or training institution (to include expected date of program completion)
- One reference letter from current mentor
- Support letter and a curriculum vitae (incl. list of publications and funding sources) from proposed hosting supervisor (to include a confirmation of applicant acceptance at the hosting institution, a mentorship track record, and a description of the mentorship plan
- Documentation of active ISRHML trainee membership
All required documents listed above should be submitted as a single PDF document, in the order shown, to Kathrin Litwan at: firstname.lastname@example.org., per the timetable above.
If you have any questions about the TTF, please do not hesitate to contact Kathrin Litwan at: email@example.com
Download TTF Application Form
Download TTF Budget Spreadsheet
Download TTF Awardee Agreement
Download TTF Host Institution Agreement
Download TTF Home Institution Agreement
Download TEP Indirect Cost Policy
*Applicants please take note of the agreement templates, we advise that your institution(s) is also aware of the agreement templates.